Thursday, March 1, 2012

Is your 12-18 month old getting enough calories???

Recently I have noticed that my 1 year old son always seems to want to eat everything.  Whenever I go into the kitchen he follows and needs to try everything I eat too.  I was worried that I was not feeding him enough so I had to double check the appropriate portion sizes for a 12 month old which I put in a nice neat table below.  Turns out that I am most likely feeding him enough (and I’m still breast feeding 4-5 times/day).  I just think he likes food!!! I know I provided the portion sizes guide in a previous post but I used a different format.  So you can use whichever one suite your needs.  I also found that it was easier to understand how much I was giving my son based on a sample menu. 

Portion Guide:
Below is a Guide for 12-18 month olds which provides about 1000 calories/day:
The best way to break up this chart is to feed your 12-18 month old 3 meals/day and 2 snacks/day
Nutrient Type
Examples
Protein (3 oz)
Beans, Fish (wild salmon, talpia),
Calcium (500 mg)
Cheese (1 oz = 200-300mg), Milk(1/2 cup=138mg), yogurt(1/2 cup = 137),
Vegetables (3/4 cup)
Carrots, squash, broccoli, green beans
Fruit (1 cup)
Banana, prunes, apple, orange, mango
Whole Grains (1/2 cup total)
Cereal, whole wheat bread (1/4 slice=1/4 cup), 3 crackers (3 small = ¼ cup)
Healthy Fats (3 tsp)
Avocado, olives, olive oil, sunflower oil

Sample Meal:
Breakfast: 1 - 2 tbsp pureed fruit; 1/4 cup Cheerios; 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt
Snack: 1/2 ounce cheddar cheese; 4 wheat crackers (no trans fats); 1/2 cup whole milk or breast milk
Lunch: 1.5 ounce roasted chicken minced; 2 tbsp of brown rice and 3-4 tbsp of mixed vegetables and 1/2 tsp olive oil; 1/2 cup whole milk or breast milk; small jar of prunes
Snack: 1/2 slice whole wheat toast with 1 Tbl of hummus; 4 ounces of frozen mango chunks defrosted; 1/2 cup whole Keifer milk
Dinner: 1 Tbsp serving of olives; rinse well & chop; 1 1/2 ounce chicken thigh minced; 1 to 2 tbsp mashed sweet potato mixed with 1 tbsp of whole milk yogurt; 1 to 2 tbsp of chopped green beans; 1/2 cup whole milk or breast milk 

Quick Snack Options:
I like to offer my son a variety of quick and easy to make snack options every day so it doesn’t have to constantly eat the same snacks over and over again.  Some suggestions are
- Full fat greek yogurt with fruit bits or pureed fruit mixed in
- Full fat cottage cheese with fruit or veggie bits
- Cheese sticks
- Pita and hummus
- Tortilla’s and guacamole
- Greek grape leaves
- Hardboiled egg
- Organic wheat or barley teething biscuits
- Wheat crackers and almond/peanut butter

No comments:

Post a Comment