Is
your toddler getting enough calcium?
If you’re like me then you may be concerned that
your little one may not be getting enough calcium. I’m concerned because I’m still weaning my
son so he is not quite use to whole milk yet and I’m having to find other ways
to introduce calcium to him.
You little one should be getting 500mg of calcium a day (about 2 servings of
calcium) if they are between 1-3 years of age and 800 mg/day if they are
between 4-8 years of age. It is important to consider that too much calcium consumption
can increase the risk of Iron deficiency.
This is because it can keep your toddler full which means that they are
not eating enough foods to meet their daily iron needs but also calcium interferes
with iron absorption. Therefore just keep calcium consumption at moderate
levels.
Tips
for getting calcium into your little one:
- During breakfast I give him cereal with milk (since he will drink the milk from the bowl instead of a sippy cup). On other days I give him full fat greek yogurt mixed with fruits.
- For one of his snacks during the day I either give him a cheese stick, yogurt, or cottage cheese with mixed fruits or veggies.
- I usually sprinkle cheese on foods if I feel he needs more that day such as pastas, chicken, or vegetables.
- I add vegetables that are higher in calcium to his weekly meals such as beans, kale**, broccoli**, and spinach**. My little guy loves Spinach and Kale and I find that I can quickly sauté it on the stove with some olive oil and garlic. This makes it really tasty and my little one always wants more.
Calcium sources:
Food
|
Measure
|
Calcium (mg)
|
Orange Juice (Calcium Fortified)
|
1/2 cup
|
148
|
2% Milk
|
½ cup
|
140
|
Yogurt
|
½ cup
|
140
|
Salmon
|
1.5 oz
|
100
|
Cheese
|
1 oz
|
200-300
|
Broccoli
|
½ cup
|
36
|
Spinach
|
½ cup
|
122
|
Cottage cheese
|
½ cup
|
24
|
Kale
|
½ cup
|
16
|
Breakfast cereals
|
½ cup
|
75-500
|
No comments:
Post a Comment