Saturday, March 17, 2012


Food preparation tips for a busy mom

If you’re like me you’re a very busy person, full time work, full time mom and wife, and part time student.  So I am constantly trying to find quick ways to prepare food and snacks that are healthy and organic.  Most of the time I am able to cook something for my family but on those days when I am not able to prepare something I make sure to have a stock organic baby foods on hand as well as pre-made organic foods from the grocery store.  Here are some things that I do to help me quicken my meal preparation or to just provide good foods/snacks to my little guy and my family.  

1. Grocery stored whole Roasted Chicken or Roasted Turkey breast – I love these easy and delicious things!  All you have to do is back some potatoes or sweet potatoes and have a salad and wild rice and you have yourself a meal! Depending on where you shop you may be able to get them hormone free.

2. Grocery stores usually have a section of pre-made items.  I love my grocery stores section of Mediterranean food items like Organic Hummus, grape leaves, chickpea salads, Edamame, etc.  I usually keep some packages of these in my refrigerator so I can pull out a grape leave or two for a snack or some hummus on wheat crackers.  I’m sure you can find tons of options at your grocery store!

3. Frozen Organic burritos.  There is this fabulous brand called Amy’s that has a bunch of different kinds such as brown rice beans and cheese, or black beans and veggies.  They are very tasty and so quick and easy to heat up.  It’s easy to cut it up into small bite sizes pieces for my little one and he loves them.  I know they are healthy and give him the nutrients he needs.

4.  Lots and lots of Organic frozen vegetables and frozen brown rice.  I love having frozen vegetables and brown rice on hand in order to quickly (and a lot of times with one hand) prepare them.  All it takes is a microwave safe bowl and 4-5 minutes and they are steamed!

5. Lots of fresh fruit on hand such as banana or strawberries, cheese sticks, or plain cheerios that my baby can snack on while I prepare his meal.

5 comments:

  1. Yumm! I love hummus!! To bad we really don't have any organic grocery stores where I live. It's more of a tourist community. I am helping my girlfriend take care of her 10 year old brother right now, and he loves the roasted turkey breast and chicken. This is awesome, because he extremely picky, and his diet was pretty awful before I was around. Anyway, thanks for the nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the helpful tips. I think these can be used for anyone not just busy moms, maybe busy college students.
    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your entry, because I am in the same boat! These ideas are great and I plan to borrow some ofthose for my 22-month-old =)

    Other ideas you might consider for your little one might include: organic apple sauce or yogurt cups (for more vitamin c or calcium), and one of his favorites: classic PB&J! Cut them into fourths and serve with a cup of whole milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the are great ideas too. I will def take the apple sauce and yogurt idea!

      Tx

      Delete